Monday, October 30, 2017

Happy Halloween

I apologize in advance for the long email. For those who appreciate light reading, I am very alive and well. I’m enjoying my last Halloween and I’m having a blast! Check out the pictures!

It’s been another exciting week in Oz!

Last week we drive to Manhattan, KS to hang out at the institute building. That place is SO very neat! The building was erected in the nineteenth century making it the oldest building in Manhattan. The church bought the home and refurbished it to match the needs of a YSA branch meetinghouse. All of us have a blast playing pool. I introduce a lot of missionaries to the game of scum. Some had played it before, but it never became as intense as it has this day. It can’t be more fun!

The following day at district meeting is great. In a training of bringing the Spirit into our lessons, our district leader Elder Fluckiger (flu-kih-grr), makes a sculpture out of a broken plastic fork to keep his hands busy. He lays the small idol on the desk in front of him out of reach. Without warning the fork sculpture bursts apart! Elder Fluckiger (we call him ‘Fluke’ for short) did not touch it! Paranormal! We have a good laugh about it. After the training, Fluke and I proceed to explore the incredible institute building. We come across some very interesting models of a tabernacle and an altar of burnt offering.







While knocking doors in Manhattan with Elder Richins, I stumble across a recently deceased snake. Because I am bored, I take a selfie with it.



“And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel” (Genesis 3:14-15).

However, I am not bored long! Upon knocking a certain door, Elder Richins and I make the acquaintance of a wonderful woman named Rachel Shivers. Rachel, prompted by my companion and I, shares she knows some rather incredible things about our beliefs. The very first thing she mentions is a belief she shares with us concerning the renewal of the Earth. That’s deep! Elder Richins and I direct the conversation to the restoration of the gospel, the priesthood, and the Book of Mormon. After not much time, Rachel’s adopted son Malek (muh-leak) approaches us and says, pointing to the Book of Mormon, “That’s a holy book!” Somebody give this young man a cookie! Rachel and her son happily receive a copy of the Book of Mormon and commit to reading it!

“I love it when I win!”
— Atlantis

It’s Wednesday by this time. Elder Richins and I suddenly find we garner a great responsibility to work with a member of the church experiencing an immense trial of faith. I will call the name of this member Bobby. In recent months Bobby has taken it upon himself to fellowship a reckless less-active youth I will call Jake. Bobby and Jake are converts to the church, both have been baptized in recent years, and they live with only one house between their homes. Bobby has become immensely irritated with the behavior Jake is exhibiting. Though Bobby makes every effort to help Jake, it amounts to more frustration for both parties. The aggravation festers into a temptation in the mind of Bobby: request a release from the calling in the elders quorum presidency and remove his records from the church. Blessed be the name of the Lord because Bobby shared our concerns with Elder Richins and I.

Quick comic relief...
Look at the size of a single copy of the Book of Mormon in Braille!! Each binder is very full and there are a total of eight binders constituting the Book of Mormon with footnotes. Stacked one on top of the other, the binders reach nearly reach a height of the waist of an average man!




Back to the story..
After some serious study, prayer, and a sleepless night, revelation comes to us concerning Bobby. We organize a time to meet at the church near the font and ask Bobby about his experience in being baptized. In recounting the sacred experience, Bobby’s heart was softened. It became clear walking away from the church would not be a solution. Bobby is not about to let the poor decisions of an individual affect his salvation. All of us, like Bobby, can remember powerful spiritual experiences when in a time of trial.

In a “bodaciously small town” (Better Off Dead) called St. George, Kansas, we meet a man named Micah Breshears. Upon Elder Richins’ saying we would like to share a message, Micah accepts. I begin to introduce the Book of Mormon and Micah, wide-eyed, says, "Ohh no, I don't want nothin' to do with no Mormons." Very quickly, Elder Richins and I teach the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ anyone who professed to be Christian would, at the least, experiment in reading. By the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit, Micah accepts the challenge. He wants to change his life because he's felt he has strayed too far away from God. He converted his wife to Christianity and is sure it's the hand of God that caused us to cross paths. Micah has two really cute kids: Ryan, his daughter, and Luke, his son. Elder Richins and I make our return after stake conference. After sharing a few scriptures, Micah is really excited about the Book of Mormon. We make an appointment to meet with the family next week. I’m ecstatic!

The Wamego Ward Trunk or Treat is a blast! I zombie up and stay in perfect character the entirety of the night. I take a plethora of selfies with all the costumes I really like, and a dab for fun.









Our Sunday night is concluded by an inspired decision to visit a former investigator in the records named Trina Howard. Trina has three tireless fun-loving children I distracted in the yard for the majority of the lesson while Elder Richins provided a wonderful overview of the plan of salvation. I have a blast with the kids. I’ll never grow up!

Love all of you so much! Have a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment