Monday, November 20, 2017

Better to Light One Candle than Curse the Darkness

The week begins with an awesome opportunity to utilize the blessing of increased means to teach from the technology we are allowed to use. A great less active young man we have been motivating to return to activity in the church journeyed to the east coast to be with family weeks prior. Elder Richins receives word this man, Eric, is struggling with the conflicting religious opinions of his family. A relative of Eric’s degraded the church by insulting the prophet Jospeh Smith and, by implication, a church which firmly believes in a living prophet and the priesthood power of God. Eric did his very best to stand his ground but was relentless bombarded with what could best be described as little love and high criticism. He calls for help feeling dejected and sorrowful by the hard-heartedness of his kin. My companion and I organize a time to call him via Facebook video chat. Prayer and scriptures with honest and true testimony allowed the Spirit to work through imperfect teachers and bless the heart of Eric, boosting his faith and morale. Truly the Lord is a sympathetic creator who loves us and all our complex detail with enormous care. The prophet Joseph Smith was called of God. The Book of Mormon is true. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the Lord’s church restored to the Earth.

The following day is spent frolicking in Manhattan while our vehicle is cared for at a local Firestone. Seeing as how we are stranded outside our area, what better to do than visit ‘The Top of the World’? With the Manhattan elders who so graciously provided us a ride, we enjoy the view and find an enormous gutter littered with tires. It’s not long before we decide to roll the tires down the slope. We aren’t adults. We are children grown bigger and hairier!





We take the opportunity to initiate an exchange. Elder Richins stays in Manhattan with Elder Fluckiger, and I bring Elder Timothy Holland home with me. How many missionaries can say they’ve gone on exchanges with an Elder Holland? I know I can!! I will not allow the exchange be boring considering the occasion. The same night we arm nerf darts with thumb tacks, tape balloons to the ceiling fan and open fire! It was a blast!







The very next morning near half-past the seventh hour the phone rings. It’s Fluke, “Your companion is defective. Come take him back!” I learn Elder Richins was up all night the night previous throwing up. How unfortunate! Poor Elder Richins is still not fully recovered.

It’s Friday, the day of the highly anticipated time to meet Elder Vern P. Stanfill of the area seventy. He has come to tour the mission and is making his last stop in Topeka where we have the opportunity to learn from him.

A most profound thing he says - he promises me there will be a time I will go through the veil in the next life; In this time there will be those I have influenced for good in my mortal life, ever so infinitesimally, that have passed before my mortal death, waiting to rejoice with me. This is so fulfilling to me. More than two years ago I wrestled with the option of going on a mission for the Lord. This particular truth Elder Stanfill promised is one of the very many reasons you are reading this right now. What a blessing! Elder Stanfill also promises every day on the mission sanctifies one ever further. He looks into my eyes and tells me I have changed during my time in Kansas.

His challenge at the end of his speaking is one perhaps each of you would like to take upon yourselves. Elder Stanfill encourages us, “During a time of meditating and pondering, think of yourself standing before the Savior in the Garden of Gethsemane.” He testifies the atonement is very personal. In the garden, one by one, all of us looked into the eyes of our Redeemer as He suffered for each of us.



Ian surprises us Saturday with a visit. He had been in Topeka visiting family and decided to say hello. It was wonderful to see him again.





Sunday afternoon following church, Elder Richins and I make our way to Micah Breshear’s house. Micah continues to be very open and curious about our message. We teach again the magnificent truths of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith. Elder Richins and I challenge him to pray to our Father in Heaven and ask if the Book of Mormon is true. Micah heartily accepted the challenge. He looks forward to coming to a few ward activities the Elder’s Quorum is planning. Micah and his family will be a wonderful addition to the Lord’s church someday, I know it!

I’d like to take a moment to humbly ask for your prayers in the behalf of the Eck family. RaLee Eck has tragically passed this last week and her dear family would be so blessed by so many of your righteous utterances to our Father in Heaven in their behalf. Thank you.



You are in our minds, hearts, and prayers, Eck Family.

It has been a wonderful week. I’m so grateful to be enjoying every moment in the twilight of my mission. It’s been an enormous blessing to me.

Have a beautiful week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment