Monday, November 27, 2017

The Sun Sets...


To begin I announce to you transfers has claimed me victim. I will no longer be serving the ward of Wamego. Instead my future lies in the northern reaches of Wichita, in the ward of Valley Center. As bummed as I am to leave Wamego, this is exciting news. I’ve heard great things about Valley Center from my trainer, Elder Hilborn. He served there nearly eight months of his mission. Elder Richins will be serving in Lamar, Colorado at the Western border of the mission. Wamego will be whitewashed. As for me, I will be in a trio with Elders Ethan Horton and Shane Miller. How funny, huh? In the beginning I was assigned two companions and here I am at the end in the very same boat.

I’m happy to report my last week in Wamego is a really great one.

Tuesday we have the opportunity to eat a fast dinner in the Kansas State arena. Brother Casy Winn is a rodeo coach for the university. Roping steers on horseback is his life. The entire family loves to rodeo. After scarfing down some tacos, Elder Richins and I get roping lessons. Unfortunately our roping could not be on horseback though we have a great time snatching the dummies.

Another night dinner with the Crouch’s brings about an opportunity to learn another skill: clogging! After Brother Crouch shows us the well-trained family dog, Bandit, Elder Richins and I tour the basement. Sister Crouch is an amazing teacher and teaches me well despite my slow learning. Brother Crouch shows his hand at another talent in addition to dog training and dancing and gives Elder Richins a great haircut. That man is a legend! He’s been cutting hair since 1963! What amazing people Elder Richins and I had such a pleasure to meet.




Our Thanksgiving is an experience to remember. I suppose the Winn’s liked our time together earlier in the week and wanted us again to rope with them and eat a great feast. The Ballard’s, Hayden and Casey, are there too and it made for a very memorable holiday.

Though I don’t know it in the moment, Elder Richins and I meet with Kolby Baker for the final time encouraging him to read the thirty-second chapter of Alma and educate himself about faith by reading the amazing sermon given of Alma the younger to the poor Zoramites cast out of their synagogues. I hope it leaves a mark on Kolby no matter how small.

Elder Richins and I are able to meet with Eric Sawtelle a couple times this week. Eric has some beautifully innocent and genuine questions about the plan of salvation we are able to answer by reading the scriptures. The final section of the Doctrine and Covenants, section 138, contains the miraculous vision given to President Joseph F. Smith concerning the visit of Jesus Christ to the spirits of the dead just prior to His resurrection.

The Saturday before the departure, Elder Richins and I spend the vast majority of the day working on the roof of the Vaile home. Brother Vaile is remodeling the old home. His progress so far is astounding. The task is to tear apart the roof and build a second story, in essence. I learn quite a bit about construction. Measure twice, cut once. Elder Richins and I have a great time serving in this capacity.

My last Sunday I am blessed with a opportunity to pass the sacrament to the congregation. I’m very grateful for this honor. The sacrament becomes a completely different experience while passing.

After church Elder Richins and I meet briefly with Micah’s wife. Micah hasn’t been feeling well, though he looks forward to meeting with us next week. Small joke on him, the missionaries that show won’t look quite like we do but they’ll get the job done.

Thank you for your support and prayer as always. Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment