Monday, July 3, 2017

Hello world!

Hello world! Here are some snippets of the life of Elder LaMont in the past week.




In district meeting we read the story of Jacob and Sherem in chapter 7 of Jacob. Jacob has succeeded as a ruler of the Nephite nation following his elder brother Nephi. Sherem, an antichrist, confronts Jacob to declare Jacob's prophetic teachings blasphemy. Jacob describes his feelings in verse 5: "He had hope to shake me from the faith, notwithstanding the many revelations and the many things which I had seen concerning these things; for I truly had seen angels, and they had ministered unto me. And also, I had heard the voice of the Lord speaking unto me in very word, from time to time; wherefore, I could not be shaken."



I look to Jacob's example as Satan stirs the hearts of men to anger against me. When they shake their fists, hiss and spurn, I remember the testimony of Jacob: "I truly had seen angels... and I had heard the voice of the Lord speaking unto me." Though I haven't ever seen a heavenly being, I know they walk the Earth and help us in God's work. I have heard the Lord's words through His prophets and a spiritual confirmation that this is His gospel.



Elder Tippetts and I spent a few hours of our afternoon this week cutting some grass for Helen Wallace. Helen has recently joined the church. She is eighty-five years old and lives by herself. It's pretty impressive to me she still takes care of her house and yard fairly well. Helen was very careful and sure to direct us in every aspect of the work, but the trouble is she talks so quietly when I'm thiry feet away and the ambience of the lawnmower is heavy in the air. It made for some frustration on her part and it was pretty funny.



Another service project Elder Tippetts and I were involved with involved moving a new family into the ward by the name of Hampton. I found the Elder's Quorum President is an anesthesiologist! It was really exciting to ask him some questions about his work.



We had some trouble with Fernando. A representative at Fernadndo's  recovery house has politely informed Elder Tippetts and I he is not authorized to receive visits from any proselytors. Eh, at least the J-Dubs won't get him.



Such great news! We have been teaching Kay Fralin for a few weeks now. She has come to church two weeks in a row much to the surprise of my companion. In the past transfer, Kay was not progressing well at all. It seems after they gave her some time and a Book of Mormon Kay had a moment to think about the message. We've most recently talked to her about removing coffee from her life so that she may live in harmony with the word of wisdom to enjoy the blessings of health and happiness that come. Kay is committed and so we ask most humbly for prayer in her behalf.



We were so happy to have Kay to come to church. In the middle of Sunday school, we had yet another opportunity to have an investigator come to church. This required us to attend about five hours of church meetings! I don't know how you do it, missionaries of dense Mormon population. It was a neat opportunity to have two hours of testimony meeting.



Just last night I was awaken by a horrible noise coming from outside that sounded like gunshots. Yelling, glass shattering, and a shout, "Call the police!" We still aren't sure what exactly happened. A police officer came to our door at about 11:30pm asking if we had seen anything. Unfortunately we were clueless. We will be asking around the complex to obtain more information, but as of this moment it is a mystery!







Here is a picture of Elder Colton embracing me as we were reunited. Elder Colton was one of my two companions in the MTC. We are now finally serving in the same zone.







This is what district meeting looks like when you have two sets of sister missionaries in your district.





In a dinner with the Forgey (four-ghee) family, I was outfitted in Ravenclaw robes and equipped with the Elder Wand! Get it? *ELDER* Wand!





Pureteéd Mac and cheese can make for great broccoli cheese soup. I botched my Mac and cheese, but instead of throwing it out I got creative. Here is the result.





  
It was really good!



Here is a picture of me reading the Book of Mormon...






Here is a picture of me FINISHING the Book of Mormon!!





I finally have done it! Cover to cover! It took way more time than it should have, but I can now say I have read the Book of Mormon by myself!



I love you, my people! Thank you for your support, love, and prayers. May heaven smile upon you.



No comments:

Post a Comment