Monday, October 9, 2017

Red-Handed

I extend warning to gymnast missionaries who might think their callouses have not softened over the course of time. They HAVE. I thought it might be a good idea to play on the high bars. I was having a blast until I saw one of my hands red with blood.

Lucky for me, the mission nurse was right across the street. Some peroxide, funny in-pain faces and bandages later I was just fine. This picture was taken the night of the mishap:



And one week later:



I’m glad it healed quick! It can always get worse! For example, and I think the universe is having too much fun giving me angst, we could be this deer we almost hit the other night. Unfortunately the deer was struck by two other vehicles and it’s life was ended.






How crazy can it get, right? Lucky for us, the rest of the week was quite tranquil. Elder Bischoff and I brought Amie to a mission president’s devotional. Ian had the opportunity to bear his testimony. That was something wonderful. Ian bore his testimony in the same manner as members of the church that have grown in this church longer than I’ve been alive. It was fantastic.

At the mission president’s devotional a recently converted woman told a story. Before she was baptized, she met with the missionaries and had a dream about the painting ‘Jesus Christ visits the Americas’ by John Scott. This woman dreamt herself in the scene of the painting, though Christ was no where to be found. All of the people around her were in much confusion as they argued. She knew Christ was the answer to the conflict and began to search for him. After spotting a figure in white on the horizon, she ran to the man and found the figure belonged to Jesus Christ. She pleaded with Christ to teach the people. Christ took her by the hand and led her back to the scene of the painting, taking His place and teaching the people the truthfulness of His gospel. When this woman awoke, she pursued the missionaries to learn more about the message they shared that so inspired this vision. Shortly after, she was baptized.
  
This week I had the opportunity to be interviewed by President McCuistion. Much of our conversation included how best we can use the recently bestowed technology to bless the lives of those we are teaching and how this will move the work of the Lord forward. We talked much of seers. Seer stones like the Urim and Thummim, and living seers such as the prophet and the apostles of Christ’s church. As President Uchtdorf has said:

“Not long ago, the Church published photos and background information on seer stones. People have asked me, “Do you really believe that Joseph Smith translated with seer stones? How would something like this be possible?” And I answer, “Yes! That is exactly what I believe.” This was done as Joseph said: by the gift and power of God.

In reality, most of us use a kind of “seer stone” every day. My mobile phone is like a “seer stone.” I can get the collected knowledge of the world through a few little inputs. I can take a photo or a video with my phone and share it with family on the other side of our planet. I can even translate anything into or from many different languages!

If I can do this with my phone, if human beings can do this with their phones or other devices, who are we to say that God could not help Joseph Smith, the Prophet of the Restoration, with his translation work? If it is possible for me to access the knowledge of the world through my phone, who can question that seer stones are impossible for God?

Many religions have objects, places, and events that are sacred to them. We respect the sacred beliefs of other religions and hope to be respected for our own beliefs and what is sacred to us. We should never be arrogant, but rather polite and humble. We still should have a natural confidence, because this is the Church of Jesus Christ.”

Before my interview with President, Sister McCuistion asked me, “What surprised you most about Kansas?” I took some time to think, but it came to me! I am shook because all of the brick roads I’ve seen in Kansas are RED! I don’t want to come across as bitter, but I must confess my disappointment.






Wichita sights featuring Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment