Monday, June 13, 2016

Rolling Hills, Wichita, KS...

The bike which I have inherited is fixed! Brought back from the dead! Good thing too, because this
area is a three-day-a-week car. We are biking the rest. I've never sweated hard before, but this humidity will soak even an arid person like me. I suppose I should be worried if I wasn't sweating while biking midday in 93ยบ weather at 83% humidity without a cloud in the sky. It sounds harder than it really is because "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13).

I've met such amazing people here. The members are fantastic! There are many missionary-minded families and we are fed every night. The ward takes really great care of us. I sure miss Hays, but I am in love with Wichita. The place in which we are staying is really nice (per missionary standards). We are living in the basement of a widow of the ward, Sister Pinkerton. She's housed missionaries since '07. I was glad to move in from the previous trashed apartment. I've discovered the horror of moving into an apartment a departing missionary left. It hurts my heart to suffer repercussions of slothful missionaries and to know they are out there.

We have an awesome progressing less-active names Seth Horn. Seth is about two weeks sober. This is a really big deal because he would nearly be in a daily coma of drunkenness from his alcohol addiction. He's reading Gospel Principles and the Book of Mormon and has vigilantly come to church. Seth says he's been smoking more than usual, but wants to kick that habit as well because he loves the feeling of the Spirit. Additionally, he's expressed that he desires to have the Priesthood! We plan to work with his son Elijah, but it is a difficult thing to teach him because Elijah dances between the care of Brother Horn and an Anti-LDS mother.

I met a returned missionary from the Reno mission named Ashton Couch. He's been home about a year. He's served in Fallon and Silver Springs. All of the other places he mentioned have escaped my memory.

Also, we've been working much with an Aydinez (eye • din • ehz) family. They have converted within a year and have fallen into old smoking habits. We do a lot of service for them. I've made a garden and Elder Madson began to build a chicken coop with rusty nails, wood, chicken wire and a rock for a hammer because they have no tools besides a shovel and a weak rake. They're always excited to see us, but they have yet to fulfill their commitment of attending church. Working on that one.

On Friday, I lost my name tag that was attached to my backpack. I left one in the pocket of the bag opened and it had apparently fallen out while biking home. I was greatly distressed. However, in my journal I wrote, " I prayed about it, so whatever happens, it's the Lords will!" And guess what? While Elder Madson and I were rushing to make an appointment the following day (Saturday), we took a wrong turn. That turn took us straight to my tag laying in the center of the shaded sidewalk, facing me, right-side up, and perfectly unharmed. Heavenly Father answers the simplest of prayers for the simplest blessings for which we ask. There is no way I could have missed it considering my great endeavor to keep my eyes peeled. Absolutely miraculous! No way would I ever believe my Heavenly Father doesn't hear and answer my prayers.

A recent convert just moved into our ward named Thomas Daniels II. We talked about faith and read the JST of James 2 directly after finding my tag. Faith without works is dead! My faith in searching for my tag would have been in vain if I wasn't constantly searching for it. If I had my head up, I would have missed it!

Elder Madson and I spent some time moving a part member family. I felt frustrated. The house was in an enormous disarray. Nothing was boxed up, the house was filthy, and this family wasn't even active. Yet, they had some of the best help in the world. Amazing saints from two different wards. I pridefully imagined the moving family to have such smug thoughts. Oh how I am in the wrong! If we serve others, we are serving God. Through our righteous actions and Christ-like charity, we provide an example and represent Jesus Christ. I felt so exhausted and hungry halfway through the move. I thought I wasn't going to be able to continue. But praying for help, asking for strength, provided such the difference. Dinner was with the Holyoak's and I had a greatly sufficient amount of food, water, and even dessert. Heavenly Father is taking care of me. I've never recognized that more than now.

No comments:

Post a Comment