Monday, September 4, 2017

The 'M' is capital!





Unfortunately, I have not much to share. Much of this week I've spent in a self induced coma of sleeping medicine because I had fallen ill. Not to worry! I am on the mend. Forgive the resulting short update and very few pictures.



It took me about 20-and-a-half months, but I finally collected some new name tags. These name tags are different though!





In the beginning of the week, Brother Andrew Ormond called upon us and the sister missionaries to attend an early morning seminary class to demonstrate a Book of Mormon placement to a friend at school. He received more than he asked for because the sisters were on exchanges with the Spanish sisters of Wichita. That means six missionaries filed into the primary room making the class substantially larger. Sister Casos shared an experience with the young seminary students: she was walking the dusty streets of western Kansas and came across a man working on his car. Like all missionaries, they stopped to speak with the man. At first, the man was very skeptical. The moment they took a copy of the Book of Mormon from their bag, the man's countenance changed dramatically. "Wait, I think I have one of those," he spoke softly "one moment." The man rushed inside and came straight out clutching a dusty Book of Mormon in his hands. "Do you belong to the church from which this book belongs?" the man asks. The sisters respond in affirmative. "This was given to me by a good friend seven years ago. She told me this book and the church it belongs to would change my life forever. I've not opened it yet." Several weeks later the man was baptized.



Wednesday evening we receive a call from Ian. It is then we learn he interviewed with Bishop Labrum. In this interview, he was found worthy to receive the Aaronic priesthood.



Steven Alexander is a young man taken in by Billy and Amie's family. When he began to listen to our discussions, Steven was interested only in secular knowledge. It wasn't long before Steven became interested in attending church with them. Once there, Steven felt the Spirit in his heart in a most familiar way. He became involved with singing in the choir and participating in class. Most recently he expressed a desire to be baptized. We've been working hard with Steven. We pray his vices will melt as he puts his faith in the Lord and is strengthened by the atonement of Christ



Saturday morning Elder Bischoff and I were able to travel to Benton to assist in an Eagle Project for Sterling Schurr. We took pictures of a great amount of headstones so they may be indexed. Unconventional missionary work for Elder Bischoff and I, but missionary work all the same.



It's finally here! We are getting Facebook! That will happen either today or tomorrow. If you receive a friend request from me, I didn't check out of Kansas early. I'm still in Wi-Chee-Tuh! This is a very exciting way to move the work forward. I'm still trying to figure out how it works.



Ian stood at the pulpit this fast and testimony meeting. He relayed the story of the woman healed by the touching of the Master's robes in the 5th chapter of Mark. Ian related this immediate miraculous healing to that of his own conversion. "Within one month," he said "I've come from an investigator to a member receiving a calling and holding the priesthood." Such joy filled my heart as the congregation hummed an 'Amen' as Ian closed his testimony in the name of Christ.



This week I was inspired by what I had learned in the 84th section of the Doctrine and Covenants, verse 106: "And if any man among you be strong in the Spirit, let him take with him him that is weak, that he may be edified in all meekness, that he may become strong also." We learn the same in Ecclesiastes 4:9-10: "Two are better than one... For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."





HOPE




Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment