Monday, August 29, 2016

...climbing to new heights

Since the beginning of this week I've been trying to wrap my mind around these callings I've been given. On preparation day, Elder Murdock, Elder West, Elder Andrasko and I went to the mall to check out an enormous Halloween store. There was an animated werewolf there, as big as me, that would growl and roar Elder West immediately began to handle in jest. Elder West put his arm in the rubber mouth of the werewolf and vied for attention. When the rest of us rolled our eyes and payed him little mind, Elder West lost interest and started to walk away. The werewolf had started to lean forward, more and more. I thought it was an intended design that the werewolf come closer, all of a sudden, to frighten a passerby too near. It started slow, then moved rather quickly. It wasn't until the snout of the werewolf was to the floor with a loud CRASH that we had realized Elder West tipped it over in his foolery. Elders Murdock, Andrasko, and I casually did an about-face and casually walked away while Elder West fumbled with the now not-so-frightening werewolf mess. He hustled to join us red-faced and flustered. Luckily no staff confronted us or kicked us out of the store! At our dinner appointment, Elder Andrasko and I received a call from the mission office. We were to prepare to take a couple of the brand-new missionaries to work for a few hours.



The following day, sixteen Elders went to a Bionic Burger to celebrate the end of the transfer before so many of us were assigned different areas. When it came time, those of us called to do so drove to the mission office to pick up the new missionaries.






I had the privilege of working with Elder Wood! It's not often a missionary is taken to work his first day by the said missionary's trainer. Although, I was instructed to not breathe a word of being the one to train him. It was really fun to work with him. He's a hardworking missionary. We had a great time. In fact, this week has been a blast!





Elder Wood is from Queen Creek, Arizona (Gilbert area). He is about 5'9" 130 lbs, enjoys ballroom dancing, quoting movies and comedy TV!


We've gone from having no car from result of depleted miles, full-time car, to sharing the car again. Hopefully the situation with the car doesn't switch again now the companionships are all in proper order. When Elder Wood and I went to the residence of the sisters (who by the way, are Sisters Wall and Pederson), the members they live with asked us to cut a useless cable on their barn in the backyard. "You can come some other time to do that. We need to get a ladder." Seeing an opportunity, I simply asked where the tool that was to be used to cut the cable was located. It was given to me and I leapt to the roof. The deed was done in just over three minutes.






Friday was an averted disaster. The zone leaders, my bosses, informed the the zone to attend a short meeting. However, I was not made aware it was required of me to have prepared an hour-long district meeting. That's not a good feeling, let me assure you. I improvised for a straight hour. We made goals as a district, discussed methods of obtaining new investigators, and role-played street contacts. The meeting was soon over, and I hadn't realized how fast time went. Victory! After the meeting, we all had lunch. When I finished eating, I had an urge to pull a Shoulder Angel. Elder Michaelis happily obliged. This one is for you, Alekken!





We've had some pretty excellent experiences this week. For one, Elder Wood and I were led by inspiration to a man named Mohid (moe • heed) Shah (shaw). Mohid was busy at work trying to change a tire in the parking lot of an apartment complex, clearly struggling. We offered help and he immediately accepted. With three pairs of hands, the job was completed quickly. In the time we worked we taught Mohid about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Mohid is Hindu and has little-to-know knowledge of the Savior. Fortunately, Mohid is willing to meet with us again to learn more. It's exciting to teach someone like King Lamoni. When asked if he believed in God, King Lamoni responds, "I do not know what that meaneth." In the Kansas portion of the termed 'Bible-Belt', it is not often we meet someone like Mohid. We plan to share this scripture from Alma 30:44 with Mohid the next time we see him Elder Wood has suggested:


"The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator."


I add my witness Jesus Christ is the son of the living God, and this world would not be so without the divine power and authority our Heavenly Father has. He has created us, He has a plan for us, He gave this world and His son for us. For that I am so grateful.


Much love, gratitude, and prayers from Wichita, Kansas. All of my thanks, and all of my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment