Monday, March 14, 2016

Why did you choose to serve a mission?

I was reading my scriptures (fancy that) in Jacob one morning. In the end of the first chapter, Jacob expresses his desire to help the Nephites. Verse nineteen says this: "And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsibility, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day."

When I read this verse, I lit up! Whether or not you've asked me, "Why did you choose to serve a mission?" This is why I chose to serve. For quite some time I toiled to know if this was a righteous desire, and it has been revealed to me through revelation it most certainly is! Jacob, the righteous brother of Nephi, felt the very same way in a different calling albeit similar purpose. This validation is glorious to me.

When I met with the mission president for the very first time, he made it clear to me missionaries most pleasing in the eyes of Heaven stay on their mission because they love their Savior. So, let me make this perfectly clear: I am on my mission because I love my Savior. Do not misunderstand. But the reason I was able to walk into the MTC is Jacob 1:19, and that's not wrong.

I'm scared to be negative, but I am heartbroken. A non-member woman we have been teaching chose to leave town instead of coming to church. Because it is a requirement to attend at least two, consecutive weeks of church before baptism, she will not be baptized on the 26th per the plan. Of course, this is her choice, but the night before she departed Hays, she wouldn't stop talking about her recently baptized friend whom is acting in all forms of hypocrisy and eventually broke down crying. Let this testify to you of the example you are setting to every son and daughter of God around you. Especially to the beautiful fragile heart of one in the conversion process. Do you know whom this includes? Everyone. We are all converting, so think really hard about what you are demonstrating to your brothers and sisters.

Of more light-hearted conversation, last night (Sunday) we had a dinner appointment with the Unsworth's (The 's' sounds like a 'z'). They're a young family, their oldest is 16. Aunnaliese (on-a-lease) Unsworth, the mother, is writing a fantasy novel and I could talk to her forever about it because I love reading of that particular genre. Kayson Unsworth, 12 years old, and I went back and forth quoting movies. I quoted, with inflection, everything from Emperor's New Groove to Hercules to Cars to Shrek. That's right, I still have it! The awesome thing: Kayson did it right back!! I had such a blast! Needless to say, Kayson and I are best of friends.

This is Kayson:






So much love to everyone. Thank you for everything, particularly prayers. The words you utter bring about miracles in Hays, Kansas

No comments:

Post a Comment